Thursday June 23rd, 2011 (Read in the past-present-participial-of-the-future-with-a-twist-of-lime.)
On the way to Omaha, NE we stopped at Mitchell, South Dakota. What is so special about this place? I'm glad you asked. It is the only corn palace in the world! What a great title, eh? Kate asked me to pull over at this random "point of interest" and as a good boyfriend I did as I was told. I surprised myself, however, because I thoroughly enjoyed the stop. The Mid-Western'ers decided it would be best to build a Corn Palace to attract more individuals out here back in the day. The palace illustrated how fertile the soils of South Dakota were. Every year 300,000 ears of corn decorate this building to show others that the West is not all that bad. :)
Ok, no more detours or distractions we need to make it to Omaha, NE right away. Well, that did not happen. More rain and snow this year has caused the Missouri River to overflow onto I-29, which is the road to Omaha. It must have just recently happened, because there was only ONE detour sign that de-toured us from I-29. After that, you were on your own to explore the back roads of South Dakota. And let us just say, TomTom was of no use. Even though his tone of voice remained the same, Kate and I could not explain to TomTom the intricacies of flooding on the interstate. After many frustrating turn-arounds, useless detours and misguided advice from TomTom, we managed to find our way to Omaha.
But our moods quickly shifted from frustrated to non-as-frustrated when 3 cute kids welcomed us into their homes. Kate's neighbor from Virginia, Liz, now lives out in Omaha and those were her 3 cute kids. Their family welcomed us into their home and treated us with a hospitality of no other--which included allergy medicine, Mexican take-out, beer, wine, utensils and lunch for the road! Along with that, she gave Kate a nice "fix" with the children. Kate loves kids and has wanted them since she was 3 (or possibly earlier.) Between the toys, the parks and bike rides, Kate and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Thanks guys!
Now onto the windy city of Chicago.
No comments:
Post a Comment