Friday, July 8, 2011

Introduction to East-side Manhatten and the Card's!

With the temperature being 100, the air smelling of garbage and dozens upon dozens of cars stuck in front and behind us, NYC welcomed us with a big ole hug. That's no way to welcome folks that have been stuck in a car for the past 8 hours, but yes, we love you too.

Skip, Jean Margaret and timid Julia Card welcomed us with open arms (without the heat, smell and traffic, that is). They took us out to eat for burgers and then later for yogurt! We thoroughly enjoyed this meal after a long drive that included seeds, nuts and probably something else birds eat as our diet. As I talked with Skip, he informed me that the publishers of his first NYC hiking book wanted a 2nd edition. So, I asked him if we could join him on a walk/hike, and so the next day we jumped on the subway towards Central Park.

As we walked through the park, beginning at the South to finish at the North, Kate and I read through Skip's book of directions as well as history about local statues and areas of the park. What a walk! Thanks Skip. As we entered Skip and Jean Margaret's lovely 2 bedroom apartment in NYC, we cooled off and played with female Jesus and others dolls with little Julia. We had a blast! I was a little tired but for some reason a little girl full of energy won't let you be tired for long. So, Kate and I joined with the fun. Before we knew it, the time had come to say our good-byes and head off to the East side of Manhatten where Sarah and Chris lived (friends of Kate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment